Franchise Businesses Storm Capitol Hill
Last month, nearly 450 franchise business owners descended on Washington, storming Capitol Hill and taking to the airwaves as part of IFA’s annual legislative fly-in. IFA members called on Congress to extend current tax rates as quickly as possible to avoid the fiscal cliff and said if tax rates expire at the end of this year, job creation in our important business sector would continue to be thwarted.
Already, the rate of growth in franchising has started to slip as the fiscal cliff nears, with the IFA’s 3Q forecast released this week showing growth in business formation down from previous reports by 0.4 percent and job creation remains flat.
In over 200 meetings with lawmakers, IFA members demonstrated their commitment to being a force in the upcoming elections, showing lawmakers “Franchising Votes” through IFA’s new mobile app, and that the nearly 18 million workers and 825,000 establishments supported by the franchise industry are committed to supporting candidates who support IFA’s Franchising=Jobs Agenda.
In conjunction with the fly-in, IFA announced its political action committee, FranPAC, has raised more than $1 million in actual receipts and nearly $1.3 million including pledges, through the balance of the 2011-2012 election cycle. to support pro-franchising, pro-business candidates for Congress, placing us in the upper-echelon of business association PACs in Washington, DC.
Over the next month, IFA members will be back in their states and districts, urging employees and other members of the franchising and small business community, to get out and vote on behalf of these candidates. By increasing the size of FranPAC, we are able to more effectively support policymakers and candidates who understand the role franchising plays in the economy and that will support pro-growth policies that enable, not hinder, our members’ ability to create jobs.
Public Affairs Conference “By the Numbers”
- 211 Congressional Meetings
- 62 Meetings with Members of Congress (Including meetings with House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer (D-MD), House Majority Leader Eric Cantor (R-VA), and Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY)
- 11 new Franchise Congress Members
- $11,500 FranPAC dollars pledged
- 500 Congressional staffers at “Taste of Franchising”
- 7 “Taste of Franchising” exhibitors (Domino’s Pizza, Chick-Fil-A, Edible Arrangements, Firehouse Subs, Jersey Mike’s, McDonald’s)
- 11 Members of Congress attended the Taste of Franchising
- 4 National TV segments featuring IFA Board members reaching 530,000 people
- 3 print and online feature articles reaching over 50,000 people
- 3 op-eds in CNBC, Detroit News & the Triangle Business Journal reaching 1.7 million people
- 38 new Twitter followers (@Franchising411)
- 225 Tweets over 3 days
- 179 downloads of IFA’s “Franchising Votes” SmartPhone App
Thanks for making this year’s conference so successful and to the entire IFA staff, our sponsors and attendees for supporting the franchising industry each and every day.